undefined
undefined
undefined
Bermeo on fire:
Old
town of Bermeo hit by fire,
five buildings burned to the ground
The
town of Bermeo had suffered one of the most dramatic episodes. It had
happened on April 11th. About seventy inhabitants from the
old town had to retire their homes. The fire was reported shortly
after 04:00 in the morning at a four-story house in the Juan Nardiz
street, in the heart of the old town.
Three
fire fighters and two police officers were slightly injured and
treated at the scene for gas inhalation. Four
of the affected buildings collapsed as a result of the fire and three
more will likely have to be pulled down.
Heavy
rain in the afternoon aided the efforts of 40 firefighters to bring
the blaze under control, which Bizkaia fire chief Javier Setién said
had been achieved by the evening. “The fire has been contained and
we don’t think it will flare up again, although we still have work
to do. It’s going to take a few more hours,” he said.
Crews
remain at the scene Thursday afternoon, dealing with hot spots. It
has not been determined yet what caused the blaze, but some sources
say it might have been a short-circuit.
The
entire town and institutions like Red Cross has
overturned with the affected ones, offering them their support,
clothes and food. The Deputation of Biscay had offered a place to
live until their homes are repaired. People from everywhere had shown
their condolences to the affected ones.
This
terrible day couldn’t be forgotten by people from Bermeo; some of
our friends and acquaintances had lost their houses and memories.
By
Arnaitz Ormaza and Gaizka Sanchez
0 comentarios: